Dogs are a delightful addition to any family. However, if your dog is stinking up the house, it is important to address those issues before things get out of hand. There are a lot of different types of unpleasant dog odors like bad breath, flatulence, odor from badly maintained fur, and stepping or rolling on poop. Ultimately, no matter how much you love your dog, an unpleasant-smelling dog is hard to be around.
Greetings to my readers I am from 360 dog walker. In this article we will discuss 5 different methods to make your dog smell fresh and good.
1. Express The Anal Glands
So the first method to deal with dog odor is, express the anal glands. When the anal glands are full, they start leaking out the sticky, pungent smell. Sometimes you will see spots of brownish material in places where your dog has been sitting, such as on your carpet, furniture, or your lap. Dogs often scoot when feeling the need to get their anal glands expressed. We recommend you to take professional help to get your dog’s anal glands expressed because this is one thing you might not prefer to do by yourself.
2. Groom Your Dog On A Regular Basis
The second method for body odor is groom your dog regularly. There are several ways by which you can keep your pooch groomed and cleaned.
1. Clean their ears
1. Dirty ears of a dog can be very stinky, especially when they have not been cleaned for a while. Clean your dog’s ears on a regular basis with specially designed products for that purpose and cotton balls. You will be pleasantly surprised how ear cleaning products can actually make your dog smell like brand new.
2. If your dog is showing signs of infections such as odor, redness, itching, or swelling you should definitely take your dog to a veterinarian.
3. Brush their teeth
1. A dirty mouth can also lead to a bad odor in the form of a stinky breath. Try to brush your dog’s teeth regularly and give them something to chew on, bones are great, and teeth cleaning toys that will help to naturally clean their teeth. If your dog doesn’t like its teeth getting brushed, dog’s mouth spray is the best resort to eliminate any strong odor coming from the breath unless your dog has a medical condition which is causing them to have bad breath.
2. Brush your dog’s fur
1. You should also brush your dog daily to brush out the dirt and debris that may be causing the unpleasant odor in your pets. Brushing will not only keep your dog matt and tangle-free but will slowly eliminate the body odor also.
3. Reduce Flatulence
The third method is reduced flatulence. In majority of the flatulence issue, a bad diet is the culprit. A diet that is hard to digest for the dog can end up causing flatulence. Difficult to digest foods with low quality ingredients fillers and preservatives generally give gas to your dog. But still, there are many factors that lead to excessive flatulence to your dog like:
- Poor digestion
- Food intolerance
- Fast eaters etc
This is how you can stop flatulence in your dog:
- Don’t give table scraps.
- Don’t give milk products.
- Don’t give gas-inducing foods like, broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.
- Slow down your speed eater.
- Keep your dog physically active.
- Switch to highly digestible low fiber and fat diets.
4. Bath With All-Natural Dog Shampoo
The fourth method is bath with all-natural dog shampoo. Dogs can get extremely dirty and often like to roll in stinky things. So, bath your dog thoroughly and properly with a gentle shampoo that uses natural ingredients. It will not only eliminate the odor but will also be kind to your dog’s skin and coat. Do not wash your dog too often because it can have a bad impact on their skin and hair. Washing your dog with shampoo daily can cause them to lose oils in their coat which is naturally present to protect their skin. So, if you notice that your dog is starting to smell in between baths, you can consider other options like dog deodorants that keep them smelling like heaven in most cases.
5. Dog’s Bedding Should Be Washed Regularly.
The last method is wash your dog’s bedding. Wash your dog’s bedding regularly to prevent it from making your dog smelling worse than he actually is. How your dog smells can sometimes be because of the way their bedding smells. Wash the bedding as directed on its label. Avoid using fabric softeners as they tend to irritate your dog’s skin. Instead, hot water and baking soda are an excellent combination to wash off the dog’s odor. Make sure your dog has a nice and clean bed at night to cozy up in.