Accidentally deleting an important video file from your computer can be frustrating. It gets a lot more irritating when all efforts to find the file in your directories and recycle bin prove futile. Fortunately, losing your video files might not entirely be the end of the world. Most times, these videos can be quickly recovered with the right data recovery methods or software.
In this piece, we’ll be discussing the best video recovery techniques, common ways data files can go missing, and how to quickly recover them on your computer using the WonderShare Recoverit tool.
- Common reasons for video file loss
- Common ways to recover lost video files
- Recovering lost video files with Recoverit
- Why we choose Recoverit
Common Reasons For Video File Loss
Data loss can be caused by an array of different factors, with each of these factors requiring its own unique recovery methods and solutions. The most commonly occurring reason for data loss is hard drive crashes. Although hard drive crashes account for over 67% of data loss on a computer, errors induced by humans, system/software failures, viruses, and malware are also frequently resulting factors.
The causes of data loss include:
1. Human Errors
Humans are prone to errors and sometimes delete, move or overwrite files, data, text, or parts of project documents by accident. Human errors also play a major part in some of the other factors of data loss, e.g., spilling water on a computer, dropping a hard drive, accidentally formatting a drive or storage device. Alternatively, human errors can be minimized in various ways: training the staff on good computer room practices and always creating a backup of essential files and data on an external drive or cloud drive are usually the most common solutions.
2. Viruses & Malware
Malicious attacks from viruses and malware are also one of the most common factors of data loss. When a computer is exposed to malware that tampers with data and alters documents, some of these viruses can delete important files from the computer. Some viruses are also known to give hackers unauthorized access to your computer and files. A popular solution to preventing virus attacks is by installing good antivirus software.
3. Hard-Drive Crashes
Hardware failures are one of the major factors that lead to data loss, with hard-drive crashes being the most occurring. The hard drive, the primary storage unit for system/software files and documents in the computer, can be very fragile and require extra care to prevent a crash. Statistically, about 140 thousand hard drives are known to crash every week – with 60% of that figure resulting from mechanical failures and the other 40% resulting from human error, misuse ill-handling of the hard drive.
4. Liquid Spillage
When working in an office or with a computer, ensure to keep any liquids as far away as possible because any spillage could result in a short circuit of the components in the computer. The computer as an electronic device can easily get damaged if any form of liquid spills into the motherboard. In the event of a spillage, the user runs a high risk of losing the file and damaging components of the system.
Common Ways To Recover Lost Video Files
You can implement a few simple methods to try and recover your lost video and multimedia files from your computer. In the event of video data loss, you can try any of the following methods:
Check the Recycle Bin
If you accidentally deleted a video file, you can quickly check the recycle bin, and you might find the file in there. Deleted files are temporarily put away in the recycle bin and can be restored quickly by simply dragging the file to your desktop or right-clicking on the file and selecting the “Restore file” option.
Restore files via File History
This option is usually effective if you have File History Backup turned on your Windows 10 operating system. This method can be set up in the following steps:
- From the desktop, hit the Start Menu button
- Select Settings > Updates & Security
- Proceed to Backup > Add a drive
- Select the external storage devices you want to use for backups
To restore the backup:
- Search for “Restore files” on the search bar and select Restore files with File History Backup from the results
- Look for the file you need, and select the version you want to restore.
- Right-click on the file and select “Restore.”
How To Restore Video Files With Recoverit
If you don’t have a backup of your video files, you will need to use a powerful data recovery tool like Recoverit to restore lost or deleted video files.
How To Use Recoverit:
- Download and install the Recoverit video recovery tool.
- After installation is complete, launch the program and select the recycle bin folder to get started.
3. The Recoverit software will start scanning the selected location and search for deleted video files, which might take a few minutes.
4. When the scan is complete, find and select the video files you want to restore, you can also preview the videos. Click the “Restore” to save the video files in your desired location.
5. When trying to recover large-sized video files, run a deep scan by choosing the “Advanced Video Recovery” option located at the bottom-left corner of the interface.
6. The program will scan and merge the fragments of the videos and display the results. Select the videos you’d like to recover and click the “Restore” button.
What you need to know about Recoverit Video Recovery tool
Recoverit data recovery software is a powerful recovery tool that is available on both Windows and Mac operating systems. The major features of the Recoverit program include:
- Recovers any data from any storage device
- Supports all file systems: NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, HFS, AFPS, etc.
- Supports Advanced algorithm: Advanced Deep-Scan algorithm goes deeper into the data structure to ensure over 96% recovery rate.
- Supports over 550 data formats: images, videos, audio files, archives, documents, etc., can be recovered with Recoverit.
- Powerful data recovery solution that can recover files from formatted hard drives resized or lost partitions and raw hard drives.
Cons of using Recoverit data recovery software:
- May not work if the data you intend to recover has been overwritten by the computer or storage device.
- May not be the best effective solution for recovering PPTX, WORDX, and PDF file types.
Losing or deleting video files by accident will not feel like a disaster when they can easily be recovered with powerful tools like Recoverit Data Recovery Software. It is an easy-to-use tool that offers more than 95% recovery rate. Additionally, its advanced deep scan algorithm makes it one of the best data recovery tools you can use to recover your lost video files.